Rwanda is a small country located in East Africa that is often referred to as the “Land of a Thousand Hills” due to its picturesque landscapes. Despite its small size, Rwanda is packed with fun and fascinating facts that many people don’t know about. Here are just a few:
- Mountain gorillas: Rwanda is home to over half of the world’s remaining mountain gorillas. Visitors can trek into the forests of Volcanoes National Park to see these magnificent animals up close.
- Coffee and tea: Rwanda is one of the world’s largest producers of coffee and tea. These crops provide livelihoods for many Rwandans and have become a major part of the country’s economy.
- Wildlife: In addition to gorillas, Rwanda is also home to a variety of other wildlife species, including elephants, lions, leopards, and monkeys.
- Lake Kivu: Located along the border between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lake Kivu is one of Africa’s largest freshwater lakes. It’s also one of the world’s few “exploding lakes” due to the high levels of carbon dioxide and methane gas that are trapped beneath its surface.
- Cleanliness: Rwanda is known for its clean and well-maintained streets, making it one of the cleanest countries in Africa. The government encourages citizens to participate in regular community clean-up efforts, and littering is strictly prohibited.
- Sustainable tourism: Rwanda has become a leader in sustainable tourism, with a focus on preserving its natural beauty and wildlife. The country has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives, including using reusable water bottles, conserving energy, and promoting responsible wildlife tourism.
- Language: Rwanda has three official languages: Kinyarwanda, French, and English. This makes it one of the most linguistically diverse countries in Africa.
- Music and dance: Music and dance play a big role in Rwandan culture. From traditional drumming to contemporary music, Rwandans love to express themselves through music and dance.
These are just a few of the many fun and fascinating facts about Rwanda. Whether you’re interested in wildlife, history, culture, or just want to experience the breathtaking beauty of this amazing country, there’s something for everyone in Rwanda.